I do my best to keep this updated, but my LinkedIn profile is probably the most current of the two
515 Walnut Avenue, Apartment 4, Syracuse, NY 13210 USA
PH: +1 +347–453–2675
Current Cumulative GPA: 3.933
M.S. in Library and Information Science (May 2012) Syracuse University, School of Information Studies
B.A. in Communications Field of Study: Print Journalism (May 1996) American University, School of Communication
Including but not limited to: Data Administration Concepts and Database Management, Information and Information Environments, Reference and Information Literacy Services, Information Resources: Organization and Access, Management Principles, for Information Professionals, Enterprise Technologies, Project Management, Data Mining
Analysis – Research – Information Ordering – Negotiation – Quality Management – Change Management – Networking/Relationship Building – Presentation Skills – Superior Written and Verbal Skills – Critical Reasoning/Thinking – Cross–Cultural Competence – Active Listening – Service Oriented
Including but not limited to: Information Organization, Access and Design – Data Analysis, Research, and Visualization – Systems-Based Information Design – Superior Written, Verbal, Graphic, and Visual Communication – Information Literacy, Analysis and Problem Solving – Critical Reasoning/Thinking – Project Management - Data Analysis, Research, and Visualization – Information Systems Analysis – Systems-Based Information Design – Google Refine – Visual Analyst – QSEE – Microsoft Office Suite (Project, Access, Visio) – Adobe Creative Suite – Open source content management systems (cPanel, Joomla!, WordPress, Drupal) – HTML – CSS – XML – Some PHP, SQL and Regular Expressions – Windows and Mac OS X operating systems— Metadata Schemas, Concepts, and Standards – Metavist – LomPad – MS SharePoint – DSpace – EPrints – phpMyAdmin – Zotero – EndNote
- Initiated and lead development of West African office launch including initial market research and feasibility studies, marketing and communications strategy and implementation and operational growth.
- Developed primary Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database which captured numerous data points for organizations, contacts,calendars, projects, sales opportunities, tasks, and marketing plans. CRM was run on OpenBase SQL and was grown to house 20,000 companies and related data points.
- Improved sales leads by 35% and garnered write–ups in major industry reports after developing a national business seminar series targeting Fortune 500 companies and leading industry analysts.
- Facilitated a national, aggressive 60–day, on–time launch of new public relations tactics, presentations, advertising, direct mail, case studies, website, and events for national and international offices in a corporate re–branding move.
- Selected as the employee of the month and received the annual Chairman’s Inner Circle Award as one of the top 20 employees in a company of more than 500.
- Orchestrated and managed multiple corporate events internationally (US and Nigeria).
Smithsonian Institution Libraries - Digital Services Division – Intern – June 2011-July 2011
Federal appointment to a Professional Development internship in the Smithsonian Institution Libraries’ Digital Services division. The overarching theme of the project I was involved with was titled ‘Scientific Publishing and Workflow’. The project was primarily comprised of heavy data analysis and data reporting using tools such as Google Refine, Microsoft Access and Excel, and SQL. The goal of this project was to identify how Smithsonian scholarly journals ranked against like scientific journals and find out the worth of its many researchers. This project was executed using bibliometrics (comparing such indices as h-index and impact factor) and will be submitted to the head of the Smithsonian Scholarly Press for use in a lobbying effort to include Smithsonian publications in more commercial digital repositories.
Data Science Academic Strategist – Syracuse University iSchool Syracuse, NY – 2011 – Present
- Advising Dean Dr. Elizabeth Liddy on development of Data Science Certificate of Advanced Studies program
- Utilizing market research and relationship building to design a complete program in a yet unformed academic and professional discipline
- Attended 2011′s Strata NY Conference and networked with C-level data professionals, building relationships for collaborative efforts in developing the first Data Science curriculum in the United States
Research Assistant to Dr. Lee McKnight – Wireless Grids Innovation Testbed – Syracuse University iSchool Syracuse, NY – 2011 – Present
eScience Fellowship Web Manager – Faculty Assistant to Syracuse University iSchool Professor Dr. Jian Qin
Syracuse, NY – 2010 – Present – http://eslib.ischool.syr.edu/
Responsible for overhaul of existing site and development of new site that is in line with the guidelines dictated in the IMLS grant the iSchool received to develop eScience Librarians. Tasks include project management, branding, and content development. Administering open source content management systems (Joomla and WordPress) run on PHP and SQL in the deployment of the sites. Site is fully standards–based and HTML, XML, and XHTML compliant where the 20 participants in the program – students and faculty from Syracuse and Cornell University – will have varying levels of authorship enabling them to upload and maintain site content. Also responsible for developing and maintaining the blog used as part of the program.
eScience Media Manager – Faculty Assistant to Syracuse University iSchool Associate Dean Dr. Jeffrey StantonSyracuse, NY – 2010 – 2011
Developed the brand of the Center for eScience and Cyber Infrastructure at the iSchool as well as strategies and tactics to create its print, web and social media presence. In charge of web, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn methodologies to promote both the Center and a fast track eScience master’s program as well as all printed material – datasheets, course forms, and worksheets. Instrumental in intra-college consensus building on program.
Executive Vice President, Development and Administration, VIPCG – Management Consulting Firm
New York, NY and Lagos, Nigeria – 2003 – 2008
Developed Leadership network spanning East coast of US, Spearheaded multiple cash positive marketing campaigns including email, web, print and mail, Managed national and international teams (locally and remotely), Co–delivered over 60 events/seminars in NY and Nigeria intended to increase company awareness and raise sales, Oversaw Marketing Communications Department including all development of marketing, advertising, web and public relations campaigns, collateral and sales brochures, presentations, new office design and layout, sales techniques, Oversaw development of Administration Department including IT, Office Administration, Finance functions. Spearheaded development of West African (Nigeria) office.
Data Conservancy – Johns Hopkins University – March 2011-June 2011
Worked with Head of the Entrepreneurial Library Program, and other senior staff, to help identify a sustainability model for the Data Conservancy. Research includes competitive analysis, organizational review, organizational structure analysis, cost analyses, and service identification. Also responsible for interviews with top leadership and profile building and forecasting/future search of database models.
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Retail Sales Associate, Campmor, Inc. – Retail Store Specializing in Outdoor Recreation Equipment Paramus, NJ – 2009 – 2010
- Marketing Manager, Industrial and Technology Assistance Corp. – Manufacturing/Technology Incubator New York,
NY – 2002 – 2003
- Marketing Consultant, FutureLink Corporation –
Application Service Provider New York, NY and Irvine, California – 2001 – 2001
- Marketing Manager, MobileQ, Inc. – Mobile Device Software Developer New York, NY and Toronto, Canada – 2000 – 2001
- Marketing Communications Manager, OnSite Access, Inc. –
Integrated Telecommunications Provider New York, NY – 1998 – 2000
- Lead roll-out of multiple enterprise software products.
- Managed internal and external teams ranging in size from 2 to 5.
- Developed case studies and ROI analysis and diagrams targeting vertical markets.
- Guided aggressive launch of a national marketing, advertising, and public relations campaign aimed at 15 major U.S. and Canadian markets within a three month deadline.
- Directed and developed a variety of publications including product/service catalogs, annual reports, and postcards.
- Developed multiple day–to–day and long-term promotional processes for national marketing associates. Worked with leadership on development of S1 filling and associated road–show presentation in preparation for initial public offering.
- Lead marketing team and consultants to implement the strategic repositioning of the corporate, enabling sale.
- Defined political outreach arm of organization. Lobbied for Federal & State funding – increased political commitments to continue funding from Congress by 30% from previous year. Initiated citywide corporate awareness campaign, resulted in 50% increase in visitors to website.
Black and Latino Information Studies Support (BLISTS) Leadership program – Syracuse University – Fall Semester 2010 – 10 week program designed to develop leaders in the Information field. Program included training in negotiation, team building, communication, handling change, delegation, and time management.
National Training Laboratory – Human Interaction Laboratory: Transforming Interpersonal Relationships March, 2005 – Bethel, Maine, USA – Topics Covered –interpersonal relations, group development and group dynamics, developing and practicing effective interpersonal skills, giving and receiving feedback responsibly, and diversity issues.
American Management Association – Fundamentals of Marketing, 2002 – New York, NY, USA – Topics Covered – Mapping Out Your Strategy and Creating a Marketing Plan, Managing Product Life Cycle, Extending the Partnership, The Power of Pricing, Winning Distribution Channels, Benefits of Segmentation, Designing and Using Market Research Effectively, Promoting Successfully and Profitably, Introducing Winning New Products and Services.
National Outdoor Leadership School – Baja Sea Kayaking, 1992 – Mulege, Mexico – Topics Covered – Leadership Techniques, Environmental Ethics
Using Internship Experience to Evaluate a New Program in eScience Librarianship
May 2011 to February 2012, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
Team Members: Joshua Kitlas, John D’Ignazio, Dr. Jian Qin
This research project explores the role of internships in a new curriculum designed as part of the eScience Librarianship (eSLib) project. eSLib’s goal is to educate a new type of librarian capable of supporting science researchers who increasingly depend on cyberinfrastructure to conduct their research. Experiential learning was identified early on in the IMLS-funded project as a necessary aspect to give students field exposure that would help prepare them to manage the diverse digital objects being generated throughout an array of disciplines and institutions. Evaluation of student internship experience enhances understanding of the relation between the eSLib curriculum and what is needed by institutions tasked with managing data produced by computer and network-enabled scientists.
Some Nigerian Pidgin, Exposure to Hausa, Idoma, Yoruba
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION MEMBERSHIPS
Project Management Institute (PMI) – 2011-Present
Special Libraries Association, Government Information Division – 2011-Present
American Library Association – 2010-Present
International Association for Social Science Information Services and Technology – 2010-Present
Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM) – 2011-Present
New York Library Association – 2011-Present
Information Architecture Institute – 2011-Present
BOARD SEAT, iSchool Board of Advisors - 2011-Present
First Student Member on Syracuse University Information School’s Board of Advisors
CONTRIBUTOR, Information Space - 201o-Present
The official blog of the Syracuse University School of Information Studies
Author of #1 all time most viewed post in blog history and 3 of the all time top 10 posts
VOLUNTEER, Project Management Institute – Syracuse Chapter - November 2011-Present
PERSON OF THE YEAR, TIME MAGAZINE, 2006
Co-recipient (with 6+ billion others, including you) of Time magazine’s Person of the Year award
Information Organization, Access and Design – Data Analysis, Research, and Visualization – Systems-Based Information Design – Superior Written, Verbal, Graphic, and Visual Communication – Information Literacy, Analysis and Problem Solving – Critical Reasoning/Thinking – Project Management – Data Analysis, Research, and Visualization – Information Systems Analysis – Systems-Based Information Design – Google Refine – Visual Analyst – QSEE – Microsoft Office Suite (Project, Access, Visio) – Adobe Creative Suite – Open source content management systems (cPanel, Joomla!, WordPress, Drupal) – HTML – CSS – XML – Some PHP, SQL and Regular Expressions – Windows and Mac OS X operating systems— Metadata Schemas, Concepts, and Standards – Metavist – LomPad – MS SharePoint – DSpace – EPrints – phpMyAdmin – Zotero – EndNote